Inspired by Cinder’s mechanic profession and partial cyborg body, these red velvet cupcakes, made rich with chocolate pudding and creamy, slightly zing-y frosting, are decked out with special gear and nut (like “nuts & bolts” nuts) sprinkles by The Geeky Hostess (available here). The cupcakes and frosting are based on recipes from The Dainty Apron and Wicked Good Kitchen respectively.
Cinder-inspired Red Velvet Mini Cupcakes
- 1/2 of a 16.5 oz package of Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 1/2 of a 3.9 oz package of Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream (I didn’t have any so used 1/2 Cup Vanilla Yogurt + 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda. Cool reaction!)
- 1/2 Cup Canola Oil
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Butter, just room temperature
- 1 8 oz pkg Cream Cheese
- 2 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 4 – 4 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. Fresh Lemon or Orange Zest
- 1/4 tsp. Fresh Minced Ginger (optional)
- Silver Decorating Sugar
- Steampunk Geeky Sprinkles
Cupcakes: Heat your oven to 350ºF. Grease a mini muffin pan with crisco. In a karge mixing bowl mix all of the ingredients on medium speed until combined. Scoop about 2 tsp. of the batter into each muffin cup & then bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven & let cool for a minute before placing the cupcakes onto a wire cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Frosting: In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy, & then add the cream cheese & vanilla & beat on high speed until fully incorporated & fluffy. Lower the speed & gradually add the powdered sugar in increments until it’s to your taste. Increase the speed for a minute or 2 to fluff. Spoon the frosting into a decorating/piping bag with a medium opening & pipe a thick spiral onto each cooled cupcake. Lightly sprinkle with silver decorating sugar & gear/nut sprinkles & voila! Fun to eat with chopsticks–keeps your fingers clean!