“Mom and I spent days preparing all kinds of spellicious food, from steamed wyvern claws to barbequed dragon steaks to 3-magic bean salad.”
–”Ginger Breadhouse Takes the Cake”, story bookmark
Disclaimer: This salad will NOT grow a beanstalk in your stomach.
In my course of reading the Ever After High stories, I’ve come across 3-magic bean salad a few times, but the reference in Ginger Breadhouse’s story is the only one I could lay eyes on while preparing for this post. I’m sure I first came across it in the Once Upon A Time short story collection, but I couldn’t find it again! Oh well, just know that it is one of the many, fun, play-on-word’s in Ever After and is wonderland-i-fully yummy!
3-Magic Bean Salad
Adapted from a recipe by Jeff Mauro on foodnetwork.com.
- 2 Cups or so Fresh Green Beans, ends cut & beans cut in half
- 1 15oz Can Cannellini Beans, drained
- 1 15oz Can Red Kidney Beans (I used dark red), drained
- 2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Honey OR Agave Nectar if you’d like to go vegan like Ashlynn Ella!
- 1/2 Cup Hextra-virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Italian/Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- 1 Shallot, thinly julienned
- 1/4 Cup Mild Rice Vinegar (sometimes labeled as rice wine vinegar)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Edible Gold Glitter Stars (I used Wilton, but there are other brands that are the same)
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. In a large bowl, put enough cold water to submerge the beans & put several ice cubes in it. Put the beans in the boiling water & cook for about 2-3 minutes. Drain the beans & immediately immerse in the ice water.
In another large bowl whisk together the vinegar, mustard, & honey or agave. Next, whisk in the oil. Drain the green beans & plop them in along with the other drained beans. Add the herbs & onion & toss everything together until well coated. Sprinkle with salt & pepper & when you’re ready to serve it, sprinkle on the magical gold stars!